Moral Supramundane Consciousness—4
- Sotàpatti Path-consciousness,
- Sakadàgàmi Path-consciousness,
- Anàgàmi Path-consciousness,
- Arahatta Path-consciousness.These are the four types of Supramundane Moral
Resultant Supramundane Consciousness—4
- Sotàpatti Fruit-consciousness,
- Sakadàgàmi Fruit-consciousness
- Anàgàmi Fruit-consciousness
- Arahatta Fruit-consciousness.
These are the four types of Supramundane Moral and Resultant consciousness. Thus end, in all, the eight types of Supramundane Moral and Resultant consciousness. Differing according to the four Paths, the Moral Consciousness is fourfold. So are the Resultants, being their fruits. The Supramundane should be understood as eightfold.
Thus the “immorals” are twelve, the “Morals” are twenty-one, the “Resultants” are thirty-six, the “Functionals” are twenty.
In the Sensuous Sphere, they say, are fifty-four types of consciousness, in the Form-Sphere are fifteen, in the Formless-Sphere are twelve, in the Supramundane are eight.
121 Types Of Consciousness
These different classes of consciousness, which thus number eighty-nine, the wise divide into one hundred and twenty-one.
How does consciousness which is analysed into eighty-nine become one hundred and twenty-one?
1. The First Jhàna Sotàpatti Path-consciousness together with initial application, sustained application, joy, happiness, and one-pointedness,
2. The second Jhàna Sotàpatti Path-consciousness together with sustained application, joy, happiness, and one-pointedness,
3. The Third Jhàna Sotàpatti Path-consciousness together with joy, happiness, and one-pointedness,
4. The Fourth Jhàna Sotàpatti Path-consciousness together with happiness and one-pointedness,
5. The Fifth Jhàna Sotàpatti Path—consciousness together with equanimity and one-pointedness.
These are the five types of Sotàpatti Path-consciousness.
So are the Sakadàgàmi Path-consciousness, Anàgàmi Path- consciousness, and Arahatta Path-consciousness, making exactly twenty classes of consciousness. Similarly there are twenty classes of Fruit-consciousness. Thus there are forty types of supramundane consciousness.
1. Dividing each (supramundane) consciousness into five kinds according to different Jhàna factors, the supra- mundane consciousness, it is said, becomes 40.
2. As the Form-Sphere consciousness is treated as first Jhàna consciousness and so on, even so is the supramun- dane consciousness. The Formless-Sphere consciousness is included in the fifth Jhàna.
3. Thus the Jhànas beginning from the first amount to eleven, they say. The last Jhàna (i.e., the fifth) totals twenty-three.
4. Thirty-seven are Morals, fifty-two are Resultants; thus the wise say that there are one hundred and twenty- one types of consciousness.
Thus ends the first chapter of the Abhidhammattha Saïgaha which deals with the Analysis of the Consciousness.